Removal of 2nd Panorama Item

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I have downloaded the latest build of the Social Viewer app and really like the new look; however, I am having an issue trying to make a specific modification. I like the "What's New" feed and then the list of feeds that click to navigate to but I want to remove the second panorama item (the "recent" feed you have in there by default) so it is just the one panorama ("What's New") then the list of feeds to choose from, not the two panorama items first.

<sr:ReaderConfiguration.Layout>
            <sr:DesignLayout PanoramaFirstListName="what's new"
                             PanoramaSecondListName="recent">
                <sr:DesignLayout.PivotListNames>
I have tried deleting the PanoramaSecondListName="recent" from the code but it then throws an error. What am I missing in order to remove that second pivot item from the template to make this work?
Coordinator
Jul 27, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Eric

If you go into the MainPage.xaml you’ll see that there are three <PanoramaItem> elements. Remove the second one. That should do the trick I think. The other option is to add Visibility=”Collapsed” to the second <PanoramaItem> element.

Would love feedback as to how we can improve the template – we’re working on a version for Windows Phone Mango as we speak.

Nick Randolph | Built to Roam Pty Ltd | Microsoft MVP – Windows Phone Development | +61 412 413 425
The information contained in this email is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not disclose or use the information in this email in any way. Built to Roam does not guarantee the integrity of any emails or attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Built to Roam.

Sent: Thursday, 28 July 2011 1:51 AM
To: Nick Randolph
Subject: Removal of 2nd Panorama Item [socialviewer:266740]

I have downloaded the latest build of the Social Viewer app and really like the new look; however, I am having an issue trying to make a specific modification. I like the "What's New" feed and then the list of feeds that click to navigate to but I want to remove the second panorama item (the "recent" feed you have in there by default) so it is just the one panorama ("What's New") then the list of feeds to choose from, not the two panorama items first.

<sr:DesignLayout PanoramaFirstListName="what's new"
                             PanoramaSecondListName="recent">
I have tried deleting the PanoramaSecondListName="recent" from the code but it then throws an error. What am I missing in order to remove that second pivot item from the template to make this work?
Jul 27, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Thanks, that worked great once I went in and removed the calls to the ListScroller items as well afterwards. The only issue I am having now is that the Twitter authentication is failing. I enter in the twitter credentials in the "Settings" screen of the app, it successfully logs me into Twitter; however, it then comes back and says, "Unable to authenticate to Twitter, please ensure you have a network connection and enter valid Twitter credentials." I've obviously entered valide Twitter credentials since it is showing me logged in and I have network connection because it is pulling all of the feeds in; however, it won't authenticate the app. Facebook login works fine. Any thoughts on what I might be messing up? I've entered the Twitter APIKey (Consumer Key) and the Twitter Secret (Consumer Secret) in the appropriate spots in the app.

Coordinator
Jul 27, 2011 at 10:33 PM
Eric, which build of the template are you using? If you get the version from the source code tab that should fix that issue.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Sent: 28/07/2011 7:00 AM
Subject: Re: Removal of 2nd Panorama Item [socialviewer:266740]

Thanks, that worked great once I went in and removed the calls to the ListScroller items as well afterwards. The only issue I am having now is that the Twitter authentication is failing. I enter in the twitter credentials in the "Settings" screen of the app, it successfully logs me into Twitter; however, it then comes back and says, "Unable to authenticate to Twitter, please ensure you have a network connection and enter valid Twitter credentials." I've obviously entered valide Twitter credentials since it is showing me logged in and I have network connection because it is pulling all of the feeds in; however, it won't authenticate the app. Facebook login works fine. Any thoughts on what I might be messing up? I've entered the Twitter APIKey (Consumer Key) and the Twitter Secret (Consumer Secret) in the appropriate spots in the app.

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:54 PM

I just downloaded the 89969 version last night and that's the one I'm using.

Coordinator
Jul 27, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Hmmm, in that case I’m not sure as I thought that twitter auth worked in that build. I’ve been trying to improve the twitter auth to make it more resilient to changes Twitter keep making. I’ll try and fix the auth (again) and post an update. In the meantime if you don’t specify the twitter key in the configuration.xaml file it will remove references to twitter in settings and remove the ability for users to tweet/retweet. You’ll still get twitter content within the app

Nick Randolph | Built to Roam Pty Ltd | Microsoft MVP – Windows Phone Development | +61 412 413 425
The information contained in this email is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not disclose or use the information in this email in any way. Built to Roam does not guarantee the integrity of any emails or attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Built to Roam.

Sent: Thursday, 28 July 2011 7:55 AM

I just downloaded the 89969 version last night and that's the one I'm using.

Jul 29, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Nick,

One other question... I have been trying to modify the template to have two (or three) pivot lists in the panorama instead of the Feed, Flickr, PivotList layout that comes by default; however, I cannot get a second PivotList to work. It will show the second PivotList in the panorame; however, it populates both lists with the same links instead of showing separate links in each. Here's the code from the Configuration.xaml where I am trying to define the two lists:

<sr:DesignLayout>
                    <sys:String>Item #1</sys:String>
                    <sys:String>Item #2</sys:String>
                    <sys:String>Item #3</sys:String>
                    <sys:String>Item #4</sys:String>
                    <sys:String>Item #5</sys:String>
                </sr:DesignLayout.PivotListNames>
            </sr:DesignLayout>
        </sr:ReaderConfiguration.Layout>
            <sr:DesignLayout>
                    <sys:String>Item #6</sys:String>
                    <sys:String>Item #7</sys:String>
                    <sys:String>Item #8</sys:String>
                </sr:DesignLayout.PivotListNames>
            </sr:DesignLayout>
        </sr:ReaderConfiguration.Layout>
    </sr:ReaderConfiguration>

When it renders, it is only showing Pivot List 2 links (#6, #7, and #8). What am I messing up?

Thanks
Jul 29, 2011 at 4:29 PM

I forgot to include the code I changed in the MainPage.xaml for the dual pivotlists, so here that is too:

<Grid x:Name="PanoramaLayout"
			  Grid.Row="0">
			<controls:Panorama Title="{Binding ApplicationTitle}"
							   SelectionChanged="PanoramaSelectionChanged">
				<controls:Panorama.Resources>
					<DataTemplate x:Key="PanoramaTitleTemplate">
						<Grid>
							<TextBlock Text="{Binding}"
									   Margin="0,35,0,0"
									   FontSize="100.200" />
						</Grid>
					</DataTemplate>
				</controls:Panorama.Resources>
				<controls:Panorama.TitleTemplate>
					<StaticResource ResourceKey="PanoramaTitleTemplate" />
				</controls:Panorama.TitleTemplate>
				<controls:Panorama.Background>
					<ImageBrush ImageSource="/Images/PanoramaBackground.jpg"
								Opacity="0.5" />
				</controls:Panorama.Background>
				<controls:PanoramaItem Header="Main Menu">
					<ScrollViewer>
					<StackPanel>
						<ListBox ItemsSource="{Binding PivotItemLinks}"
								 ScrollViewer.VerticalScrollBarVisibility="Disabled"
								 SelectionChanged="MenuSelectionChanged" Margin="0,0,0,24">
							<ListBox.ItemTemplate>
								<StaticResource ResourceKey="LinkItemTemplate" />
							</ListBox.ItemTemplate>
						</ListBox>
						<ListBox ItemsSource="{Binding Links}"
								 SelectionChanged="MenuSelectionChanged">
							<ListBox.ItemTemplate>
							</ListBox.ItemTemplate>
						</ListBox>
					</StackPanel>
					</ScrollViewer>
				</controls:PanoramaItem>
                <controls:PanoramaItem Header="People">
                    <ScrollViewer>
                        <StackPanel>
                            <ListBox ItemsSource="{Binding PivotItemLinks}"
								 SelectionChanged="MenuSelectionChanged" Margin="0,0,0,24">
                                <ListBox.ItemTemplate>
                                </ListBox.ItemTemplate>
                            </ListBox>
                            <ListBox ItemsSource="{Binding Links}"
								 SelectionChanged="MenuSelectionChanged">
                                <ListBox.ItemTemplate>
                                </ListBox.ItemTemplate>
                            </ListBox>
                        </StackPanel>
                    </ScrollViewer>
                </controls:PanoramaItem>
Aug 3, 2011 at 12:49 AM

Nick,

Just wanted to see if you've had any success on the Twitter Auth piece? I've tried swapping the BuiltToRoam.Security.dll from the previous upload (the one for the Twitter Auth fix on the 9th) just to see, but no success.

Thanks

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Eric

Unfortunately I haven’t had time to update the social viewer template. I’ve got Twitter auth working (see my article at http://BuildMobile.com) but haven’t got around to editing the template. Hopefully later this week – apologies for the delay

Sent: Wednesday, 3 August 2011 7:50 AM

Nick,

Just wanted to see if you've had any success on the Twitter Auth piece? I've tried swapping the BuiltToRoam.Security.dll from the previous upload (the one for the Twitter Auth fix on the 9th) just to see, but no success.

Thanks

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:49 AM

Nick,

Just checking back again to see if your updated SocialViewer template with the new Twitter authentication might be coming soon?

Thanks,

Eric