Alpha version

Coordinator
Jan 2, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I've just committed an alpha of the next version of the Social Viewer. It has some significant changes to the configuration.xaml file (see comments inline) and now takes advantage of some of the Mango features (eg Database support).

It would be great to get feedback on the current build. What do you like? dislike?

Also, there are some features that are still on the list, the main ones being
- Pinning lists to start screen
- Background agent for downloading pinned lists

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Hey Nick, Thanks for the update it sounds awesome.

I'm getting this error as soon as I try and rebuild or run the solution.... any idea what I'm doing wrong??

Error    1    The command "xcopy "c:\users\dante\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Social Viewer3\BuiltToRoam\BuiltToRoam.Core\Bin\Debug\BuiltToRoam.Core.dll" "c:\users\dante\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Social Viewer3\Social Viewer3\Library" /Y
xcopy "c:\users\dante\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Social Viewer3\BuiltToRoam\BuiltToRoam.Social\Bin\Debug\BuiltToRoam.Social.dll" "c:\users\dante\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Social Viewer3\Social Viewer3\Library" /Y
xcopy "c:\users\dante\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Social Viewer3\BuiltToRoam\BuiltToRoam.Settings\Bin\Debug\BuiltToRoam.Settings.dll" "c:\users\dante\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Social Viewer3\Social Viewer3\Library" /Y
xcopy "c:\users\dante\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Social Viewer3\BuiltToRoam\BuiltToRoam.GeoWatcher\Bin\Debug\BuiltToRoam.GeoWatcher.dll" "c:\users\dante\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Social Viewer3\Social Viewer3\Library" /Y
xcopy "c:\users\dante\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Social Viewer3\BuiltToRoam\BuiltToRoam.Controls\Bin\Debug\BuiltToRoam.WindowsPhone.Controls.dll" "c:\users\dante\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Social Viewer3\Social Viewer3\Library" /Y
xcopy "c:\users\dante\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Social Viewer3\BuiltToRoam\GIFDecoder\Bin\Debug\GIFDecoder.dll" "c:\users\dante\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Social Viewer3\Social Viewer3\Library" /Y
xcopy "c:\users\dante\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Social Viewer3\BuiltToRoam\Microsoft.Phone.Controls.Toolkit\Bin\Debug\Microsoft.Phone.Controls.Toolkit.dll" "c:\users\dante\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Social Viewer3\Social Viewer3\Library" /Y" exited with code 4.    Social Viewer3

Here's my system info:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Version WPDTRTMRel - 30319.174
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.0.30319 SP1Rel

Installed Version: PD Express

Microsoft Visual Basic 2010  
Microsoft Visual Basic 2010

Microsoft Visual C# 2010 
Microsoft Visual C# 2010

Microsoft Windows Phone 7.1 Profiler 
Microsoft Windows Phone 7.1 Profiler

Microsoft Windows Phone Developer Tools - ENU 
Microsoft Windows Phone Developer Tools - ENU

Microsoft Advertising SDK for Windows Phone 7   5.2.606.0

Microsoft Windows Phone Developer Tools - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB983509)   KB983509
This service pack is for Microsoft Windows Phone Developer Tools - ENU.
If you later install a more recent service pack, this service pack will be uninstalled automatically.
For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983509.

Microsoft XNA Game Studio   4.0
Microsoft XNA Game Studio 4.0
Build 4.0.30602.1

Jan 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM

@Etnad,

I got the same error but was able to build by doing the following:

With your Social Viewer project opened in Visual Studio,

Click Project->"Your Project Name" Properties ->Build Events->Delete all commands in Pre-build events command-line box

Cheers,

Paul

Jan 2, 2012 at 7:11 PM

@Nick,

The new template looks very nice, I really like the verbosity of the documentation in the new configuration.xaml.  Also, the addition of hub tiles is pretty cool.  You hit the nail on the head by suggesting an ability to pin lists to start screen.

My only other suggestion at this time would be a possible front end to aid in generating configs.

Great work!

-Paul

Coordinator
Jan 2, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Paul, that's the correct fix for that issue. I forgot to remove the build events when publishing.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Sent: 3/01/2012 6:44
To: Nick Randolph
Subject: Re: Alpha version [socialviewer:284730]

@Etnad,

I got the same error but was able to build by doing the following:

With your Social Viewer project opened in Visual Studio,

Click Project->"Your Project Name" Properties ->Build Events->Delete all commands in Pre-build events command-line box

Cheers,

Paul

Coordinator
Jan 2, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Paul

I love the idea of a UI to generate the config file…. Any chance you’d be interested in contributing? Currently I only just have bandwidth to get work done on updating the template itself, so any assistance from the community would be fantastic.

Nick Randolph | Built to Roam Pty Ltd | Microsoft MVP – Windows Phone Development | +61 412 413 425 | @btroam
The information contained in this email is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not disclose or use the information in this email in any way. Built to Roam Pty Ltd does not guarantee the integrity of any emails or attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Built to Roam Pty Ltd.

Sent: Tuesday, 3 January 2012 7:11 AM

@Nick,

The new template looks very nice, I really like the verbosity of the documentation in the new configuration.xaml. Also, the addition of hub tiles is pretty cool. You hit the nail on the head by suggesting an ability to pin lists to start screen.

My only other suggestion at this time would be a possible front end to aid in generating configs.

Great work!

-Paul

Jan 3, 2012 at 3:33 PM

@Nick,

I am currently working on a solution to rapidly create configs from data in an access table.  I imagine much of the code would be relevant to a UI generator.  I will keep you up to date, and time permitting, I may be able to help out.

-Paul

Coordinator
Jan 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Updated alpha version just posted to source code tab (and I hopefully removed the build events so it should build correctly - let me know if it doesn't)

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:05 PM

@Nick,

Just saw the update.  Builds fine with no modifications.  The new tile pinning feature is awesome!

I have a quick suggestion.  It would be really cool to be able to pin tiles to pages in the pivot list.  For example, say I am a huge fan of 'Nick Randolph', it would be awesome to pin directly to your listpage so I could immediately get to your feed from the initial tile screen in the OS. 

-Paul

Coordinator
Jan 7, 2012 at 9:15 PM
Yup, that's coming. I'm also going to make the tile design flexible (with Blend support)

Sent from my Windows Phone

Sent: 8/01/2012 8:05

@Nick,

Just saw the update. Builds fine with no modifications. The new tile pinning feature is awesome!

I have a quick suggestion. It would be really cool to be able to pin tiles to pages in the pivot list. For example, say I am a huge fan of 'Nick Randolph', it would be awesome to pin directly to your listpage so I could immediately get to your feed from the initial tile screen in the OS.

-Paul

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:31 AM
Edited Jan 13, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Suggestion:

Ability to clear all cached data from settings. 

There exists a scenario where data could come through a social source which is offensive or possibly harmful which can be safely removed server-side,  but the material would still stay in the cached data sources. 

Also, there are possible issues when a user upgrades and social sources change (updated or removed) which could result in stale data or an empty list on boot up which could throw an exception.

A purge method would be useful to clear all cached data.  This could be called manually or on fresh install to protect against these issues.

-Paul

Coordinator
Jan 13, 2012 at 3:53 AM

Paul

The data does get cleared as it gets old (I’d have to check the code as to what the definition of “old” is).

w.r.t. updating versions – you can always flush the tables in the database. Would that work?

Nick Randolph | Built to Roam Pty Ltd | Microsoft MVP – Windows Phone Development | +61 412 413 425 | @btroam
The information contained in this email is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not disclose or use the information in this email in any way. Built to Roam Pty Ltd does not guarantee the integrity of any emails or attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Built to Roam Pty Ltd.

Sent: Friday, 13 January 2012 3:32 PM

Suggestion:

Ability to clear all cached data from settings.

There exists a scenario where data could come through a social source which is offensive or possibly harmful which can be safely removed server-side, bet the material would still stay in the cached data sources.

Also, there are possible issues when a user upgrades and social sources change (updated or removed) which could result in stale data or an empty list on boot up which could throw an exception.

A purge method would be useful to clear all cached data. This could be called manually or on fresh install to protect against these issues.

-Paul

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:47 AM

Has there been an update to the Alpha?  I'm not seeing the abiltiy to pin list.

Coordinator
Jan 30, 2012 at 4:49 AM

Pinning should be there on the “what’s new” list I think. May have accidentally broken it though…. sorry

Sent: Monday, 30 January 2012 4:48 PM

Has there been an update to the Alpha? I'm not seeing the abiltiy to pin list.