Facebook Pages vs Profiles

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Does Social Viewer support Facebook pages as opposed to Facebook profiles?

Coordinator
Jan 13, 2012 at 8:11 PM
Yes, it reads pages. Profiles aren't part of the public feeds

Sent from my Windows Phone

Sent: 14/01/2012 6:30
To: Nick Randolph
Subject: Facebook Pages vs Profiles [socialviewer:286091]

Does Social Viewer support Facebook pages as opposed to Facebook profiles?

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Thanks, Nick,

I got it working.  This is pretty neat.  It has progressed quite a bit from when I last looked at it.  Very very well done.

I did notice a couple of things where I could use some help or a nudge in the right direction.

- Twitter feeds seem to be time based.  Is that right?  In other words it only seems to pull recent tweets.  Is there any way to get it to pull all tweets from a feed?

- On Facebook pages it pulls activity that is blank or not useful.  For instance "XXX changed their About" on Facebook shows up as blank in Social Viewer.   Is there any way to filter out those actions and only pull actual posts?

I'm using this to help my son build an WP app.  Makes for a really easy way to get started.

Like I said, Well Done!

Thanks,
Ben

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Ben

w.r.t. Twitter – if you scroll to the bottom of the list (eg the what’s new list) you’ll see that it starts to download more content. This goes back down the twitter timeline and will populate the list with those tweets. If you again scroll to the end of the list this will repeat

w.r.t. Facebook – if you look at the parser you can determine how to handle each message type. Alternatively you could create a filter that excludes those activities (see the HasImageFilter for example).

Nick Randolph | Built to Roam Pty Ltd | Microsoft MVP – Windows Phone Development | +61 412 413 425 | @btroam
The information contained in this email is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not disclose or use the information in this email in any way. Built to Roam Pty Ltd does not guarantee the integrity of any emails or attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Built to Roam Pty Ltd.

Sent: Saturday, 14 January 2012 1:32 PM
Subject: Re: Facebook Pages vs Profiles [socialviewer:286091]

Thanks, Nick,

I got it working. This is pretty neat. It has progressed quite a bit from when I last looked at it. Very very well done.

I did notice a couple of things where I could use some help or a nudge in the right direction.

- Twitter feeds seem to be time based. Is that right? In other words it only seems to pull recent tweets. Is there any way to get it to pull all tweets from a feed?

- On Facebook pages it pulls activity that is blank or not useful. For instance "XXX changed their About" on Facebook shows up as blank in Social Viewer. Is there any way to filter out those actions and only pull actual posts?

I'm using this to help my son build an WP app. Makes for a really easy way to get started.

Like I said, Well Done!

Thanks,
Ben

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Thanks, Nick,

I'll play with the Facebook filtering.

Twitter is defintely not behaving as you say though.  I may be doing something wrong.

Using the feed below with only one tweet in the past while shows only one tweet with no way to get the older ones:
            <Content:SocialSource SourceName="Foo Fighters Twitter"
          SourceTypeName="Twitter"
                                Id="from:foofighters"
          OnDemand="True" />

Using this other one where there have been no tweets in a long while shows no tweets at all:
            <Content:SocialSource SourceName="Dave Grohl Twitter"
          SourceTypeName="Twitter"
                                Id="from:FooFightersDave"
          OnDemand="True" />

Thanks for all the help.

Best Regards,
Ben

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Ben

The issue is actually with the Twitter search – try going to the twitter site and doing an advanced search using those terms. You’ll see that you get the same, incorrect, result L Although it’s more work you might be better off using a “mentions” search and then filtering based on the user.

Nick Randolph | Built to Roam Pty Ltd | Microsoft MVP – Windows Phone Development | +61 412 413 425 | @btroam
The information contained in this email is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not disclose or use the information in this email in any way. Built to Roam Pty Ltd does not guarantee the integrity of any emails or attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Built to Roam Pty Ltd.

Sent: Sunday, 15 January 2012 3:25 AM

Thanks, Nick,

I'll play with the Facebook filtering.

Twitter is defintely not behaving as you say though. I may be doing something wrong.

Using the feed below with only one tweet in the past while shows only one tweet with no way to get the older ones:
<Content:SocialSource SourceName="Foo Fighters Twitter"
SourceTypeName="Twitter"
Id="from:foofighters"
OnDemand="True" />

Using this other one where there have been no tweets in a long while shows no tweets at all:
<Content:SocialSource SourceName="Dave Grohl Twitter"
SourceTypeName="Twitter"
Id="from:FooFightersDave"
OnDemand="True" />

Thanks for all the help.

Best Regards,
Ben

Jan 15, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Hmm.  Got it.  I'll give that a try.  I thought I was just pulling from a public timeline for a particular id.  That seems like a common scenario.  Might be worth documenting maybe.

Thanks again,
Ben

Jan 17, 2012 at 6:29 AM

Nick,

I had a look at this again but not seeing what you mean by 'you might be better off using a “mentions” search and then filtering based on the user'.  By a mentions search I assum you mean the standard @benriga style, right?  How do you filter based on user exactly?  Is that in the configuration file or would I do that in code?  Could you provide a short snippet or point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Ben

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2012 at 6:43 AM

Ben

Yes, I mean search by “@username”

Filtering is in two steps. Hope the following helps

1) Create the filter (in code)

The IncludeInList method should return true for the items that you want to include in the list. So simply look at the author and see whether it matches the user you’re after

Eg

public class HasImageFilter:BaseListFilter

{

public override bool IncludeInList(ISocialActivityWrapper activity)

{

return activity.ImagesExist;

}

}

2) Use the filter when defining the list in the configuration file.

The filters are cumulative (ie joined with AND), which means an activity must successfully meet all the filter criteria to be included in the list.

<Lists1:ReaderList ListName="recent">

<Filters1:HasImageFilter />

<Filters1:SourceName>

<sys:String>WP7 Flickr</sys:String>

</Filters1:SourceName>

</Lists1:ReaderList>

Sent: Tuesday, 17 January 2012 6:29 PM

Nick,

I had a look at this again but not seeing what you mean by 'you might be better off using a “mentions” search and then filtering based on the user'. By a mentions search I assum you mean the standard @benriga style, right? How do you filter based on user exactly? Is that in the configuration file or would I do that in code? Could you provide a short snippet or point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Ben